Shea Butter in the food industry
Shea butter in the food industry is widely used because it’s fat composition is very similar to the fat composition of cocoa butter which makes it uniquely placed to become a Cocoa Butter Equivalent (CBE) or Cocoa Butter Improver (CBI) for use in ice-creams, chocolates and biscuits. The natural shortage of cocoa through plantation degradation, plant disease and climate change; combined with heavy market demand for chocolate from developing countries has led to increased pressure on the use of cocoa as a fat, and the search for alternatives. Which is why in June 2000, as part of directive 2000/36/EC, the European Union authorized the use of shea butter in the chocolate industry as a substitute for cocoa butter (with a maximum of 5% of vegetable fat in the chocolate). The substitution was already authorized in various regions of the world such as the United States (with a maximum of 5%), Japan (between 5% and 8%) and Eastern Europe (up to 15%).
Shea in Chocolate
The fat percentage of a typical chocolate filling contains approximately 30% fat, so the choice and combination of fats is essential to provide a great customer taste and texture experience. The unique properties of edible Shea fat, adds significant versatility to your product development including coatings and finished goods. Using shea delivers the following beneficial properties:
- improved shelf life
- better heat stability
- increased melting point
- reduced ‘ bloom’ formation
Shea Butter – an ethical replacement for Palm Oil
We are not just avoiding negative impact but creating real positive social and environmental change.
Palm oil is the most commonly used vegetable oil globally. Its use within personal care and food products is popular due to its cost, high melting point (providing a replacement for trans-fats (banned recently by US FDA).
The Palm Oil industry has made strides towards more sustainable practices, but the harsh truth is that palm oil production has historically resulted in significant deforestation with serious environmental impact. (READ MORE BUTTON, CTR: innovating for climate page)
Superior quality, clean and ethically produced Shea Butter
We produce a superior quality product by keeping primary processing in Burkina and putting clean agri-processing centres (eco processing centres) at the heart of communities, part owned by the women that run them. A game-changing force for good that has redefined the shea butter industry and ensures value is driven back down the value chain to the women of Burkina.
Shea Butter – a healthy alternative to hydrogenated fats
Unrefined shea butter is a traditional cooking fat, that when heated melts to an oil with a characteristically smoky nutty aroma . It has been used for generations in the Savannah Shea Belt as a healthy fat. Unrefined Shea Butter is an all natural, vegan-friendly alternative to other lards and butters. Shea butter is also a healthier alternative to transfat-rich, hyrdrogenated oils often used in the confectionery and baked goods manufacturers. Shea Butter is also a valuable CBR or Cocoa Butter Replacement.
Sustainable Shea Butter –for the Chocolate & Confectionery Industry
Our sustainable shea enables you to update your product offering in line with growing consumer demands and awareness to purchase products which demonstrate an ethical sourcing policy. We help you deliver on your commitment to take real sustainable action in measureable ways, whilst being commercially sound and inclusive.
Tell the truth!
Our Eco-Processing Centers are the heart and hub of the rural community demonstrating the impact of your ethical supply chain policy in terms of value to the local community, enabling you to demonstrate through images, ground roots feedback and engagement, the truth around the positive economic, climate and social impact your sustainably sourced shea programme has.
Eco Processing Centers – first in the world to address community shea and agri- processing needs in Africa on a serious scale, with women and communities at the heart, a blueprint for success.
To find out more about our eco processing centres click here >
Eco-processing centres – What it means for your supply chain
- Access to bulk quantities of the highest Grade A shea butter all of the year round
- Ensuring supply chain resilience, improvement of the working conditions, hygiene, safety for the women and controls and cleanliness for your produce
- Total transparency and full traceability throughout our shea butter production from the shea nut collection through to your end shea butter product
- Security and assurance that your grade A Shea butter is tightly monitored, continuously regulated and adheres to the global guidelines and regulations that are in force
- Bringing credibility to your products through ethical & sustainable sourcing program brought to life
- Shortening the shea supply chain – go right to source and buy shea butter, processed by our centres
Zero Impact Shea Butter, be a part of the force for good
Partnering with Serious Shea takes your business to the cutting edge of transparency & responsibility:
- Source the first zero-impact shea butter – we intend to leave the Shea Forests better than we found them
- Promoting biodiversity and natural capital through reforestation
- Carbon-neutral shea – improve your overall carbon footprint
- Direct, measurable, tangible impact of your supply chain policy on your end products
- Demonstrate the direct value your sourcing policies bring to rural communities in Africa
- Reducing manufacturing costs through substitution of fats with shea
- Control, security of supply, quality & quantity
- Access to other indigious ingredients
- Reducing the environmental footprint of formulas
- Committing to zero deforestation
- Guaranteeing sustainability for raw materials
- Contribute to your Carbon Tax Offset Scheme